Flood Damage

Flood damage is covered under a separate policy than wind-related damage and has its own set of strict procedural requirements. Flood policies are backed by the federal government and, therefore, are unwavering in certain respects. The most important aspect for the homeowner or business owner to keep in mind is the Proof of Loss form. The Proof of Loss form must be signed and sworn by the policyholder, along with documentation to support the amount initially requested, and sent to the servicing agent or insurer within 60 days after the date of loss. The government frequently extends those deadlines when major storms hit, but policyholders must be mindful not to miss the deadline.

You must make sure to mail the Proof of Loss form to the correct address. FEMA issues some policies through the National Flood Insurance Program (“NFIP”) Direct Servicing Agents. Those Proof of Loss forms must be sent to NFIP Direct, P.O. Box 913111, Denver, CO 80291-3111 if by regular mail and NFIP Direct Servicing Agent, 6420 Sprint Parkway, Suite 200, Overland Park, KS 66211 if by overnight mail. If your policy was issued by what is known as a “Write Your Own Company” insurer, the form should be sent directly to your agent.

We can help you navigate the minefield of filing claims. If you want to feel comfortable that your claim will be filed timely and with the correct agent, please feel free to give us a call and we will help you in this time when you have so much other stress going on in your life.

Once the Proof of Loss form is filed, and sometimes even before the Proof of Loss form is filed, an adjuster will be assigned to assess the damage. The claim proceeds at that point are similar to wind claims, though the focus with flood claims is exclusively on the main building, fences, pools, and other abutting property.

Find Us

113 South Monroe Street, 1st Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301

Call Today: 850-851-0321